Regardless of the size of your property, adding a room in your home, renovating a basement, or other similar repairs are always a struggle no one should go through. Then comes the added hassle of choosing whom to hire. Finding a good contractor is essential because your house’s integrity is on the line. A repair project gone wrong is your money down the drain.
Here’s a checklist for you to make the hiring process easier. Search for these qualities when visiting a home-repair online shop, and if every box ticks, that is the right choice for you!
Important Questions to Ask
Besides thorough research, ask these questions before hiring any contractor.
• Inquire about the number of similar projects they’ve done recently. Ask them to provide you with a list so you can get a detailed idea.
• Ask for a list of references. They should be able to provide you with all the details of clients with similar projects as yours, so you can approach the clients directly to ask if the company did a good, satisfactory job.
• Ask for an estimate from multiple companies of your choice. If there’s a big price difference, inquire about why that is.
• Ask the contractor if your project will require a permit. Many states require permits for even the smallest jobs. A qualified contractor will get all the necessary permits beforehand.
• You don’t want to be held accountable for any mishaps or damages during the project so request a copy of the current insurance certificates and agent contact details.
Characteristics to Search For
For the safety of your lovely home, hire someone professional in property maintenance. A company that offers everything from gutter repairs, gutter cleaning, decking, fencing to rubbish clearance, roofing repairs, pressure washing, and has experienced handymen for other home-repair tasks.
A Reputable Company
It’s crucial to do good research on the companies you’re reviewing. Check their website or other social media channels to find more. If the websites don’t support what you were told in person, think about the kind of effort they are likely to put into your project.
Check the authenticity of the company’s phone number, address, and other contact information. Also, go through the list of the services they offer to know if they are a fit for your repair needs. To make the process easier, look for photos of their previous works.
Professional expertise and quality workmanship are keys to the success of any project. Review the years of experience the company has, check for industry accreditations, and ask them about the areas they specialize in.
A Licensed Company
Ensure that the company you’re choosing is licensed and bonded. Contractors must have personal liability, property damage coverage, and worker’s compensation. An esteemed contractor holds certifications for installations done per state building regulations, codes, and manufacturer’s guidelines.
Asking For Recommendations from Family and Friends
Referrals are a great way to select a contractor. It saves you from the wanton hassle of going through the entire process of hiring, not skipping even one step. Reputable home-repair companies have a lot of positive proposals
Inquire about the company from your neighbors, family, and friends. This won’t only help in limiting the choices but also in avoiding any red flags.
Today’s world is the world of the internet; use that to your advantage. The website for testimonials along with references is one of the best ways to find out a suitable company for you. The contractor must be able to handle a complaint properly. If they’re fervent and work to resolve an issue online, you can expect similar treatment during the projects. The website will also reveal where the company stands in terms of excellence and customer satisfaction.
Pro-tip: Never make your selection based on any one of these characteristics alone; they are all equally important. There must not be any compromises when it comes to the safety and curb appeal of your home.